Jump Peak Jump Peak

Really loving the Glitch Hop sound to this and stuff! Sounds like something I'd play at a gig sometime. Keep up this kind of stuff! I like ~100 bpm non-4-2-the-floor beats and funky, bass heavy stuff. :)

Cheers!

jandaman responds:

Thanks bra :) Figured I'd experiment a little more this time!

Timohi - Babulia /Squelchy Mix Timohi - Babulia /Squelchy Mix

Oi, my summary is too short.

I actually like this remix, just I think it could use a heavier kick, and the bass turned down a BIT. I really like some of the glitches you have going on.

But it needs more contrast, more ups and downs, since the beat gets pretty old, or if you like keeping the beat, then swap out that bass sound once in a while with some really contrasting elements (The lack of reverb gives it a very..."small" and "tight" sound imo).

Really interesting chord changes 2.45+, this part is nice. I think that it's all really good, just the main thing is it lacks contrast. With some breakdowns and quiet/no-beat/ambient parts and build ups, it would give way more POW to the drops :)

Just my opinion though. And I put No Stars because I don't rate tracks, I review them. Judging a track based on a 1-10 level is pretty narrow minded.

Can't wait for the results dude! :)

JPRixdorfer responds:

Thanks for the very constructive criticism!

Putting in more contrast is a thing I really should do. It's hard to find the balance in that: Either it's to boring or it doesn't follow a certain line anymore. Let's see if I can spice it up a little.

As for the lame kick: I suck at mixing and mastering. At the moment I neither have time nor patience to really become better in it. I'll probably open a thread asking for some help there, if Timohi decide to put it on a CD in Lithuania. With some kind of reward of course.

The Chord changes: Actually this is pretty lame and been done to death. But it always sounds good and dramatic :)

Thanks for all!

Pokemon Party Pokemon Party

subject

Definitely not my cup of tea, but in terms of production value, overall it's okay, just at come parts the different synths clash and fight over the same frequency space. It's not a huge problem though.

Arrangement was okay, but you have only the typical 8-bit sounds going on, you should get some extra fx in there somewhere, and once in a while open up the space (the whole track is quite dense, having even just a few bars of a really empty sound would emphasize the full parts way more).

The only 8-Bit song I know and actually like is FantomenK - CPU Mood. Check that stuff out :)

Croire responds:

I totally respect your opinion and stuff, but there aren't too many effects I can really apply that would make it more like trancey mainstream stuff because this is all made on my gy good ol' gameboy. Next one will be an improvement though!

~NK~ "Take Me Away" ~NK~ "Take Me Away"

maan.

Watch that compression dude, you almost blew my ears with that overcompression...Plus it took away the dynamics. The drop had no pow, the track just kinda...slid into it.

Seriously, take off the limiter/compressor you have going on on the master channel, and put some time into learning proper mastering. Idea wise the piece was quite simple, but okay...just really hard to enjoy with the overcompression.

Rukkus responds:

sorry about the poor mastering and stuff. this is only the second dubstep song I've put some serious effort into. I'm still learning a lot and this is something i will def take into consideration next time around. thanks for ur honesty

Tetris style Music Tetris style Music

well...

I think you've misinterpreted 8-bit music as being easy to make...
I don't specialize in the genre, but I've heard several tracks, and understand it's core elements.

First off, already what I said, it has more layers, more stuff going on, and more fx. Especially some drums are always good...
w/e, just listen to your favourite 8-bit tunes, and try to replicate their sound. These pieces to me sound like you just loaded in 2 synths and then put in some sort of melody.

Also, the songs have no structure.

Improve this stuff before you expect to be taken aboard game dev projects. Harsh review, but it's what you need.
P.
(I hate rating things, so I default to no stars)

DeanCutty responds:

Thanks for this comment. Please check out my new work! I feel I've improved greatly!

HouseMD-[Dj-S] HouseMD-[Dj-S]

Blah

Not bad song, one of the more decent House tracks on NG though. The beginning is nice, just it starts off like a Trance song, and I'd like to hear more ambience there, and FX.

The progression that starts at around 1:00 can wait. Keep the intro with one chord, or limit yourself to just 2 chords, and introduce the other elements through it. After you play around a bit, REALLY break it down, with absolute silence (aka ambiance, just very quiet) for a good bit.

The song doesn't really go anywhere after 2:00, but then again, I just noticed it's a WIP, so I assume you're just not done yet.

Main point, save the chord progression for later.
Mixing in general is nice, I think the bass is taking too much attention from the other layers. Damp it down / LP it some?

Good listen.

Sacrafan responds:

Thanks, i found a lot of distortion with my new headphones, i might scrap this i have a new WIP out, you should look ;)

Thesia - Moments[Wip] Thesia - Moments[Wip]

Good sound!

I like the intro! It's got a good drive to it already, and it develops well. I like the bass arp!
Smooth intro to the new synth! Blended very well!
The intro maybe gets a little boring after some time...try switching up the percs, or putting in some breaks in there to keep it interesting!

Transition to pads could have been smoother, but it's hardly noticeable after the glory of the pads comes in! Really loving this part! Build up is good, except I don't like the way you sequenced the kick, just keep it beating steady. Instead of dropping the whole thing for that bar, stick in some crazy nuts FX to bring the track into the breakdown.
Personally, the breakdown could sound bit fuller? Keep the pads going into the breakdown, and maybe sidechain the pads to the kick.
When you bring in the other melody it starts sounding fuller.

After that it's all good.

In technical terms, I think it's a bit loud, especially the kick. Could use some toning down of several layers, since it gets a bit fuzzy in the breakdown.

All in all, nice track.

D-Chain responds:

Well, as i always say to myself;
the first review has to be the right one!

so i shall take a deep look at the pointers you gave in your review.

-Timo AKA; T-A / Thesia / Mau5mate.

And ofcourse, Thank you for this usefull review! :)

[DN] Techno Rocker {Remix} [DN] Techno Rocker {Remix}

Over compressed...

As a concept by itself it isn't too bad, then again it's a remix, so you already have the concept.

First off, I don't get the feeling of a build up at all...in fact, it seems to sound less for a bit, before suddenly you come in with the way loud lead melody. It's just too loud! I think the distortion that we hear is clipping actually. You should tone down all the layers you have there, and blend them together more. Plus, the kick shouldn't be too loud either.
The track also sounds over compressed to my ears...not good.

Try putting the volume of EVERYTHING down by a lot, and then either leave it to people themselves to turn up their speakers, or if you really want to, you can pump up the loudness using any Mastering plugins, compressors, or limiters.

I have to say...this song is pretty badly produced....I realize you just did it in 1-2 hours, but still...put effort into everything you do!

All that being said, keep up the producing, and improve your sound!
P.

Heavenly Light ('Lift' Rework) Heavenly Light ('Lift' Rework)

My God...

Now this has to be the first real trance song I'm hearing from NG! Awesome arrangement, and good FX, and very good build-up!

Only part that lets me down a tiny bit is the breakdown. Try getting a new synth to play out a nice melody, and build that up with the breakdown, and then you'll have yourself a more interesting, and fuller breakdown.
Sounds very legit, and you've done a really good job mastering (you didn't do it yourself, did you? (I mean the mastering) ).

Good work!

Peace,

youngold responds:

I did everything. Even most of the synth sounds are original, and I mastered it myself :P

Tiesto - Nyana (Remix) Tiesto - Nyana (Remix)

Good sound, arrangement + variety?

Good sound, maybe not too full at the breakdowns, but fairly solid none-the-less!

I really like the bass, and I'm glad that the kick isn't as loud as most songs here on NG.

Only thing lacking in the song I'd say is a destination. Songs, especially in trance, need to start off somewhere, and then slowly move to a high point, at which we should be totally full of energy.
Although the sound is good, it gets very repetitive very fast. What I guess were supposed to be breakdowns didn't sound too full. Try introducing another background element, a nice pad maybe, to fill up the middle frequencies.

Silence in Trance is very important, and having silence in your piece will only emphasize breakdowns when you get all those nice sounds in there. Try holding on to the intro, having some strings/pads/choir come in ALONE, and have a small quiet part, at which point you build up the breakdown with the lead again, and after 16 bars, throw in that same string/pad/choir over top the breakdown, and you'll be able to keep the song pumping for another 16 bars.

After your first breakdown, I like the quiet part, though you should take out the quiet lead synth...we hear it through the whole song, and it gets quite tiring!

Constructive crit., please take it well!
Peace!

Kreepman responds:

Thanks!
This has to be one of the best reviews I've ever gotten :P

I'm working on a slight revision to add the suggestions that both you and Cardboardowl's suggested!

Thanks again!